SALLY TIMMS

22 abril 2009
WHEN THE ROSES BLOOM AGAIN



Esta canción da título al segundo album de Laura Cantrell, de 2002. Pueden leer la letra y escuchar su versión aquí. Esto es lo que escribe sobre When the Roses Bloom Again, y sobre la interpretación de Sally Timms, en las notas a las canciones del disco:

I first heard this song sung by Sally Timms (of the Mekons) on her album Cowboy Sally's Twilight Laments. She played it live on a visit to the Radio Thrift Shop and I sat rapt, forgetting that I was supposed to be running the show while she sang. Sally explained that Billy Bragg and Wilco discovered the lyric in the Woody Guthrie archives and Jeff Tweedy had written a beautiful melody for it. They subsequently realized that the lyric was probably a traditional song copyrighted by A.P. Carter of the Carter Family, and couldn't include it in the Mermaid Avenue project for which it was recorded (the Wilco version finally surfaced on the Chelsea Walls soundtrack). I learned the song to sing on a tour of the U.K. and recorded a solo version for my first Peel Session. I love the idea that an old song passes through so many hands and becomes new again.

2 comentarios:

Gabbi dijo...

buenisima... y con un poco de cowgirl. gracias!x

L dijo...

Great post - Gracias. I didn't know she had solo records.